One of us! One of us!

9/02/2010 09:13:00 PM


What the !!! It’s been almost 8 months since my last post!

Anyways, lotsa things have happened around me during this time. So here is a short update.

1. My parents have moved to Bangalore for good (at least for now :D) and I have moved to a new house with them. So, home food 24x7. I guess I’ve put on some 3-4 kgs.. :)

2. My work is as boring as ever.. So let’s not get there.

3. Nothing! :D

Okay! Enough of that. I had written about my first two semesters of Engineering in my previous posts. Now, I am gonna try and remember what happened after the second semester. I can’t remember much because, my happy days in college were pretty much over when I first saw that Boylstead book for Electronic Circuits. Man.. If I had exercised with that book for at least a year, I would’ve built some decent muscles back then itself. That’s not the end of it. This kept repeating every semester thereafter, with E&EM, AWP, etc etc. It’s as if all the authors of these books were short of weights in their gym.. So take that! 1000 page books as substitutes for weights. :-|

So, the third semester began. I was ready to be one of the Psychos (read E&C Dept students). Now to think of it, I really hadn’t interacted much with others in my class in the first two semesters except maybe Sarvesh, Samar and Santosh Halemani (mainly because of labs). So, I was getting into a class where I hardly knew 10 - 15 people properly. The first class was I think Electronic Circuits. Keeping up with my tradition of going late to classes, I entered the class 10 minutes after the bell. So when I walked in, I could see only 4 – 5 seats vacant in the class. I pick the one nearest to me and it was probably the 5th or 6th row in the second section near the door (first 4-5 rows were occupied by the better gender :P). Samar was one person I recognized sitting in that bench. The other person was religiously writing down whatever was being explained(Mr Dambal). Diodes were being discussed (I think so, 15 minutes into the class and I was already half asleep). Thus began my journey into the not-so-good-not-bad-either world of electronics engineering.

Now I am not sure what all subjects we had then, but let me take a shot.

Engineering Mathematics III, taught by J Madam. Superfast as ever. The pace at which topics were covered, it was almost like “Sam’s Teach Yourself EM-III in 21 days”. We hardly had any time to breathe during the class. Still, EM III was still interesting, because Mathematics was one of my favourite subjects. Differentials, Integrals, they were fun. ;)

Signals and Systems, taught by ahem ahem.. :P. One subject whose signals never reached my brains. The graphs, diagrams, Fourier and Laplace Transforms.. Uffff… It was like one guy tried to learn math and Communications at the same time and came up with that subject. And there was one only shitty wave diagram that came up in every single chapter! Freaking disaster it was for me. Thanks to UK sir’s book and the worked examples, I somehow managed to scrape through..

Logic Design, Oh wait! Let me say that properly. Laaazic Dezain. Well now you know who taught us that. A somewhat interesting subject. A not so interesting teaching. It was all messed up in my head. And the labs, I was at the potential danger of being thrown out of the lab in the first week itself. I had managed to copy only half of the experiments from the lab manuals and when asked, my over-smart mouth couldn’t’ stop itself from responding. The result? A 10 minute long scolding from RVD madam followed by a small test for trying to show off( Implementation of basic logic gates using NAND and NOR gates. I failed miserably, didn’t answer even one). But I wasn’t the only one. Sarvesh was sent out of the lab for some other reason. :P

The second lab session still didn't do me any good. I had, with utmost dedication, copied the experiment details and description from a senior’s journal and another VTU special Manual (by SS Navada, I remember that!). I submitted my journal for correction to ma’m and got back to my table. 5minutes later, I am summoned by “Laaazic” sir who was sitting next to Ma’m.


Ma’m: Where did you get this experiment description and details from?

Me: I wrote it, ma’m.

Ma’m: Where did you copy this from??

Me: Umm.. Aaaa… Senior’s journal.. :$

Ma’m: And??

Me: Another manual.

Ma’m: Which one?

Me: LD Manual by SS Navada.

Ma’m: Next time, I see your journal copied from any other journals or manuals, I will throw you and your journal out of the window!



There. Screwed in front of some 20 odd people. :D From then on, I started writing my own experiment details in my journal (at least for LD lab :) ).

The classroom time for LD was fun. Everyone picking on Laaazic Sir all the time! All the “K-miaaap” problems, gate designs, interesting in a way. It was in this class that I recognized one creature in my class that I had last seen in second semester CCP Lab exam. Thin (when I say thin, think!!), short thing sitting and laughing in the last bench with an unusually loud voice for that structure. I tried to remember.

**Flashback: Second semester, CCP Lab, it was my lab exam. I was sitting outside CCP lab, reading something from my journal. Every time a familiar face passed by, I used to ask about the questions asked in viva, the programs given and the like. At one point, I see this thin, short guy coming out of the lab. He was talking in a loud voice trying to explain some complex program to another fellow who was about to take the exam in my batch. He had a blue bag on his back into which I could’ve easily fitted and was talking in a yeh-to-kuch-bhi-nahi-hai tone which made that complex program sound like a “Hello World” one. My first impression??

“Yappa!! Korka!”

Coming back to the LD class, I asked someone around and gotta know who it was. In case you haven’t guessed till now, it was Pammya! :P

[ @Pammya: If you are reading this, forgive me. :D I had to tell this. You can beat me up the next time you meet me. ;) ]

Next subject, Network Analysis, was taught by “Aum-phear” sir. It took a while for us to understand what he was actually taking about, but we got used to it. And the terms kept coming, mess-ana-lie-sys and loof-ana-lie-sys and so on. Bits and pieces of the subject were easy and they were the ones that saved me in the final exam.

And the last one, E&EM. The lousiest of subjects. The devices discussed in the book seemed like the stuff that Tipu Sultan would’ve used in his times. And the book, just went on and on about things that didn’t make any sense, at least to me! Pretty soon, my IA marks in that subject were not making sense either. :D The toughest exam that I attended was writing this subject’s paper, not for the mental stress, but for carrying that freakin mammoth of a book all the way to college for some last minute revision (yeah! I used to read on the road while walking from home to college :P).

I didn’t do anything worth recollecting in this semester, except for, maybe, screwing up my exams. :D EC and Signals were on the border (worst case scenario) whereas E&EM was a goner. M-III was good and NA and LD were ok. But, as it happens with all VTU results, the marks and subjects were jumbled up for me. I scored well in the ones I thought I screwed up and the other subjects had to compensate. ;)

That pretty much sums up the third semester!

Okay! Enough for now. Will be back later with more useless stuff.. Till then, umm.. aaa.. Do whatever you want. :P

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Yappa!Korka!! - takes the cake!! :D :D

    Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue Bag - Check
    Loud Voice -Check
    Korka - Nimmoura!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) What a memory!!!..
    1st class of 3rd semester
    5th or 6th bench
    first experiment in lab
    .... uff..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm re-living those days with my students!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarvesh and You, partners in lab crime :)

    Korka! I second!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Le nimmajji..yen nenap ittiole!!! Labs, yes the digital labs. Avanouna ondditu gothakirlilla nanga :) On top of that Rekha mam used to catch me only. Also, I came here while trying out my name and hitting 'I am feeling lucky' on google search page!!

    ReplyDelete