Back on Top Baybe!

12/19/2009 11:52:00 PM


December 19th,2009

Almost Midnight


Ever found a long lost thing when you were least expecting it? I bet that joy cannot be expressed in words.. That is exactly how I am feeling right now! :D

December 13th, 2008. At around 8 in the night, I was on my way back home, deeply disappointed at the show that we had put up in the Dumb Charades competition at REBOOT-08. We had gone in as the defending champions. So, I was at least expecting a finish in the top 3. But again, I had an entirely new team with me and even after the numerous practice sessions that we had been through to get ourselves in sync, we faltered. We were the top team in qualifiers. But missed out a spot in the top 3 in the finals.

Now for most people, Dumb Charades means exactly what it sounds like. A dumb game.If you have the same opinion, try conveying something to a dumb and deaf person. You will know how difficult it is.

I had the same impression until I came to Halcyon-05 at SIT. Man! I was awed at the way the SITans acted out the toughest of movie names with ease. I remember harry slapping his face almost 5-6 times to enact American Pie. :D We were that noobs in miming out stuff. Even then, we managed to scrape a third spot in the finals, thanks to some very good guess work from Nagya and meself and some hilarious miming from Greeni. :D

Now, almost 5 years after that win, I feel that if not for that 3rd position, I would never have taken this game seriously. I remember spending around 6-7 hours that day (the return journey in the train from tumkur) to form most of the codes that we use even today. It was like a flu. I remember people sitting 10-15 rows apart in the train and trying to mime out stuff. We were all infected.

It just didn't stop there. Back in college too, in the classrooms, bakery, canteen, labs, everywhere. We were miming anything and everything that we could think of. Abuses, Lecturer names, funny words. There was no end to it. The dumb charades craze had become a wildfire. The effect was immediate. The next Fantasia at our college saw a huge number of teams competing for Dumb Charades. And the satisfying thing was, most of the codes that were being used by the other teams were the ones that we made up. :)

From then on, there was no turning back. DC had become our favorite pastime. Even at home, we made people go crazy with our miming and guesswork.

Its a pity that my DC team has been ripped apart, with most of us working in different companies and at different places. But then, we are always ready for DC whenever we get a chance to get together.

Coming back to today! Yuzzz... ! To say the least, " We beat the **** out of the other teams"!! :D
Even though I was in a new team yet again this time, and with only one week of practice, I was very nervous when we started off. But I had two very good team-mates, Muthu and Shailesh. Shailesh - the movie database, Muthu - the acting genius. The sync was just perfect and it was as if we all had drained down a bottle of Felix Felicis today.. :D

We won the finals by over a 100 points and reclaimed the Number-1 spot. And to make matters worse for the other teams, the Infy B team took the second place. :)

Today, I sleep peacefully, because, as Muthu rightly said "today, we bask in Glory"... ;)









You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Proud to see you living our dreams!! Keep going and bask(et)ing the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice read!
    Memories kindled as i was witness to your practice sessions :)

    ReplyDelete